Monday, April 12, 2010

Digital Footprints







PEW: Digital Footprints

Based on: http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2007/Digital-Footprints.aspx



These findings explore how Web 2.0 has altered our personal data. Once your information is put out there, whether voluntarily or not, it cannot be retracted. Although the article emphasizes that 47% of internet users have looked up their digital footprint, there are still many who do not have the slightest clue of what we are dealing with here. 38% of internet users who search for their digital footprint claim that they do no find much information about themselves on the internet, so they are uncertain/unaware of the free-floating of personal information scare.


It is mind-boggling to see that even college students do not use certain language with caution, monitor their photo content, and/or set their settings to private. Even with that being said, private settings do not always mean much. Speaking from experience, I have always had all my settings for MySpace on private and yet one can Google up many of the comments I have written to others and vice versa. The simple fact that anyone off the street can see any of your personal information is a little disturbing. Just as the Social Media Revolution Video demonstrated, we will no longer be finding the news/products/services; instead they will be finding us. Ahhh!!


It is quite apparent that internet users under the age of 50 are more wary of their digital footprint hence the younger generations most likely have career-driven mindsets and do not want to jeopardize their futures. Although this might be the case, most internet users, including the younger generations, do not mind the quantity of personal information they make available to the public (60% are not concerned with the amount of their personal information floating around). If you are smart about it and are on top of the information you let off about yourself than why would it really matter of how much you put out there? In addition, since the internet promotes a more bottom-up society and narrows the gap between consumers and producers, some users might be fond of the free-floating information concept hence it sets forth more exposure for them and in a positive light.

Personally, much of my digital footprint is made up of social-networking sites and blogs. I am on Facebook, Twitter, ModelMayhem, NaszaKlasa.pl (Polish social-networking site), Vimeo, etc. To blog, I use WordPress and Blogspot. I chose these sites to keep in touch with family & friends and/or professionally network. I have been blogging for class assignments and projects yet I have started to blog outside of class to share my views with others as well as acquire a better web presence in my field. When looking up my digital footprint, news articles/photos of fashion events come up as well. I am active in the modeling/acting industry in terms of being an aspiring talent. I also work freelance by coordinating fashion shows and events. Though all of my work is of a conservative nature, I am always wary of what exactly gets published/posted hence I am/will be pursuing higher education and distinct career goals. Although I simply want to kick myself for not doing so yet, I plan to create a LinkedIn profile this week.


Out of the four categories listed in the PEW article, I believe I fall under the “Confident Creatives.” Along with the 22%, I might ego-surf “every once in awhile,” yet I do not search for my digital footprint on a regular basis. I am not as much worried of how much of my personal information is out there as I am with what kind of information it is. I keep a keen eye-out on the information that I input onto the internet; I have always monitored my activities. I feel I do not have anything to hide; yet again I am not at ease with the fact that simply anyone can obtain my contact information such as my phone number, address, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicolette..

    Very well written piece on your digital footprint. I will share a link in class that will help review all of your personal internet data in a single snapshot. It is always interesting to note what kind of flotsam is out there about our personas.

    In what ways do you classify yourself as a content creative? Do you think a true reveal through this website will support your answer? In what ways do you find accordance with the "concerned and careful" or other groups? How do you think the various generations correspond to the various categories espoused in the PEW report? How might these general groups use their personal lens to interpret website aesthetic and usability; How might they respond to the adage "Form vs. Function'?

    Look for these questions as a part of class this week.

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete

Followers